This program is approved by the British Columbia Society of Laboratory Sciences.
The Medical Laboratory Assistant was reviewed and approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills.
The program is affiliated with LifeLabs including a 6-week practicum to prepare you with on-the-job experience.
Careers & Employment Opportunities
- • Hospital laboratories
- • Private clinics
- • Phlebotomy clinics
- • Industry laboratories
- • Other health care settings
About the Program
The Medical Laboratory Assistant Diploma Program is accredited and designated by PTIB ( Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills ) as well as recognised and affiliated with BCSLS and Lifelabs who will provide a 6 week practicum at their clinics. This comprehensive in demand career focused program provides both a theoretical foundation and practical skills set that includes Medical Terminology, Clinical Chemistry and Microbiology, Urinalysis, ECG and Phlebotomy training for the application of current medical laboratory procedures, practices and equipment, preparing graduates to work as Medical Laboratory Assistants at a medical laboratory within a variety of institutions both in public ( hospitals ) or private settings ( Lifelabs).
The duration of this Diploma program is 36 weeks including a 6 week practicum at a LIfelab Clinic. Graduates are prepared to meet the competency requirements and are qualified to register with BCSLS after program completion.
- High School Graduate or equivalent OR mature student status (19 years or older prior to starting the program)
- Meet one of the following English Language Proficiency requirements:
- • Minimum Grade 12 English (Domestic Students)
- • Overall IELTS 6.0, CLB Level 7, Duolingo score of 95-100, or VCA test score of 67/100
- • Keyboarding skills of 40 wpm
- • Criminal Record Check
- • Documented proof of Vaccinations
- Healthcare Communication Basics
- Laboratory Safety and Asepsis
- Professionalism and Ethics
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Hematology Basics
- Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology
- Laboratory Mathematics and Measurements
- Phlebotomy in the Medical Laboratory
- Clinical Microbiology Basics
- Clinical Chemistry Basics
- Urinalysis and Bodily Fluids
- An Introduction to Histology and Cytology
- The Cardiovascular System and ECGs
- Career and Employment Strategies